The Chadar Trek or the Zanskar Gorge is a winter trail over the frozen Zanskar River, which lies in the Indian union territory of Ladakh. It is traditionally the only means of travel in the area during the harsh winter months. The trail has become popular with international adventure tourists.
- Day 1: Reporting day at Leh (1800m)
- Altitude 11,400 ft. Keep your woollen cap and gloves handy at Airport
- Bring a copy of ID proof and 2 photographs. Foreigner, a copy of passport and visa
- The network is available (only post-paid)
- Visit to any very high altitude place or pass is not advisable
- Consumption of alcohol and smoking is strictly prohibited
- Leh is situated at an altitude of 3500m, the day will be spent soaking in the sights and sounds of Leh while at the same time, getting the body acclimatised to the oxygen levels. The Shanti Stupa and Leh market square will give you a good feel of the surroundings and the people. Get outside to stay aquatinted with the temperature. Explore the market and get your missing stuff from the market
- Day 02:Departing from Leh
- Leh – Chilling – Tilat do – Tsomo Paldar (Drive/3-4 hrs & Trek/1 hr)
- 11,000ft to 10,390ft. Stay in a tent.
- We start off from Leh and head out towards the start point of our trek at Tilat do. En route, we will pass Gurudwara Pathar Sahib, Magnetic Hill and the confluence of the Zanskar and Indus rivers just before Nimu. Once past Chilling, we arrive at Tilat do. You will commence one to 2 hour trek till Tsomo Paldar. We take our first baby steps on the frozen river, so be prepared for some slips and falls! Walking in gumboots too will take a while, so be patient as it’s only your first day for long trek. We start off along the left bank, past the cascading waters of the Zanskar river and frozen waterfalls until we set up camp at Tsomo Paldar. Our camp site is on a piece of flat land high above, giving you a stunning view of bend of the river.
- Day 03: Tsomo Paldar – Tibb Cave (Trek 9-10 km. / 4-5 hours)
- 10,390ft to 10,760ft. Stay in tent.
- Rising early would have its perks as the sun comes out from behind the mountains and lights up the valley. It will also help your body get used to the cold. Aching bones, if any, will be sorted by some scrumptious breakfast as the Zanskar comes to life with the rising sun. A relatively easy day of walking past higher waterfalls will get you to Tibb Cave, which lies at the intersection of two valleys. An evening walk down any one of them can make for good exploration.
- Day 04: Tibb Cave – Nyerak (Trek 10-11 km. / 5-6 hours)
- 10,760ft to 11,100ft. Stay in tent.
- It’s the most eagerly awaited day, especially because en route Nyerak – the first village of Zanskar – is a stunning frozen waterfall. While the ones you have seen so far are from high up, this one is also several feet in length which makes it one of the most picturesque sights on the trek. Just ahead of it is Nyerak, and while we camp by the river, a short walk early next morning will take you back to civilization for the first time in almost a week. At Nyerak, you can treat yourself to some goodies from the local shop and interact with the residents there, who are more than happy to indulge in a good conversation.
- Day 05: Nyerak – Tibb Cave (Trek 15-17 km. / 9 hours)
- 11,100ft to 10,760ft. Stay in tent.
- After four days of walking on ice, you will now be an expert. So feel free to look around and soak in the surroundings. There’s a good chance of spotting ibex and bharal on the high slopes, and if you’re lucky, even a snow leopard walking along the ridge. Also look out for birds such as lammergiers and choughs sailing high above the valley. It’s the longest day of the trek through narrow gorges, which means climbing up a short distance by the bank of the river in places where a solid walking surface is unavailable.
- Day 06: Tibb Cave – Gyalpo (Trek 10-11 km. / 5-6 hours)
- 10,760ft to 10,550ft. Stay in tent.
- Way back is tiring at the same time very interesting. After 5 days in this chilling region you get use to this environment. Snap shots of your favorite place, lying on the bed of ice, sharing your experience are the memories of trek.
- Day 07: Gyalpo – TilatDo – Leh (Trek 10-11 km. / 4 hours)
- 10,550ft to 10,390ft to 11,000ft. Stay in Guest house.
- We make our way back along the same way that we came, giving you the opportunity to soak in the sights that you probably missed. Trekkers along the way are sure to check with you on the route ahead, so be prepared to play guide and share your experiences.
- Day 08: Checkout 10.00am from Leh. Fly back
Why choose Altitude Adventure
We are one of the oldest adventure agencies in Leh Ladakh , organising adventures since 1999 . Our staff comprises of local people who know the routes like the back of their hands . For us our clients safety is of outmost priority that’s why our expedition leaders are advanced mountaineering course qualified and specifically trained in rescue operations and basic first aid
What You Get
You get is an experience of a lifetime, that you can cherish your entire life. You will experience world-class hospitality and adventure at the same time. what we assure is the moment you are in for the adventure with altitude adventure.com, you start to experience a different view of the majestic places even if you have been there before, as our team is backed with years of experience and trust.